[lug] video card recommandation for 1680x1050?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Sep 5 10:31:09 MDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:18:56AM -0600, bgiles at coyotesong.com wrote:
> Does anyone have video card recommendations for 1680x1050 resolution?  I'm
> looking for something very generic, but with better resolution than the
> minimal controllers built into motherboards.  (I think mine is currently
> only supported to 1024x768 under Linux, and 1200x1024(?) under Windows.)

I had an nvidia geforce 5200 that (in the right computer) was able to drive 3200x1200 (an 18" lcd and a 24" lcd).  I did have to use the nvidia proprietary driver and I did have to do xorg wrangling.

The geforce 5200 is an older card, so I would think that any recent add in card would be able to do 1680x1050.  What I don't know (and would like to know too) is which video cards can do that with open source drivers.

I've read recently that Intel graphics are much easier to deal with from open source land, but I can't seem to find any add-in Intel cards, only onboard.

I did find one page that seemed to indicate that the nv driver won't do 1680x1050.

Hugh