[lug] video card recommandation for 1680x1050?

steve at badcheese.com steve at badcheese.com
Wed Sep 5 12:14:15 MDT 2007

I've had great success with linux, the closed-source nvidia driver and
many different nvidia cards.  However, the card's memory has a lot to do
with the resolution that you can get accelerated full-screen video on.  If
you want to do full-screen accelerated 3D video at big-LCD resolutions,
you'll need a fairly recent card (7xxx or 8xxx).  The old 5xxx and 6xxx
cards (gforce4-types) usually won't do a very good job at accelerating
anything > 1280x1024.  If the frame buffer memory is less than the native
resolution of your monitor, then it'll have to do page-swapping on the
card which reduces performance dramatically.

My advice, get a modern nvidia card and use the closed-source propriatary
drivers.  Google Earth, 3D games and other software are all very smooth
with the closed-source driver.  If you do 3D or opengl development, it's a
must-have.

- Steve

EMAIL: (h) steve at badcheese.com  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve