[lug] video card recommandation for 1680x1050?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 18:53:20 MDT 2007

On 9/5/07, bgiles at coyotesong.com <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have video card recommendations for 1680x1050 resolution?  I'm
> looking for something very generic, but with better resolution than the
> minimal controllers built into motherboards.  (I think mine is currently
> only supported to 1024x768 under Linux, and 1200x1024(?) under Windows.)

My $.02

1. Any recent nVidia card is going to handle this resolution (or
higher) just fine using the proprietary nVidia drivers. If you want to
wait two years for the open source reverse-engineered drivers to catch
up, fine. Otherwise hold your nose and put up the nVidia drivers, a
piece of cake on any modern distro. If you want to experiment with the
Compiz eye candy crap, you'll be glad for the proprietary drivers.
2. ATI has some fine cards, and I'm sure they can handle the
resolution, but the Linux drivers thus far have been crappy. If you
want to wait for AMD to improve the process, fine; otherwise, see
nVidia above.

--
Collins Richey