[lug] Perl Question: finding Tk in FC7? it ran OK in earlier FCs

Matthew Beldyk matt at beldyk.org
Mon Sep 10 18:18:36 MDT 2007

I seem to recall that the last time did an install on my machine, I had to
hand compile/install the perl/tk module (it didn't come with any of the
tcl/tk modules that I installed).

It's been a while, but I remember it being fairly painless; ie a ` perl
Makefile.pl; make; make test; sudo make install`

The module should be available at http://www.perltk.org/

Matt Beldyk

On 9/10/07, gordongoldin at aim.com <gordongoldin at aim.com> wrote:

> Something I ran in earlier FCs errors in FC7 - saying it can't find Tk.
> Did something significant change? Is it gTk now or something?
>
> WARNING: /usr/bin/perl cannot find Perl module Tk.
>          The above module(s) is/are required to correctly display
>          the Bastille User Interface.  If you are unable to find a
>          pre-compiled module for your OS, they can be found at:
>            http://www.cpan.org/modules/01modules.index.html
>          If you installed the modules in another installation of
>          perl besides the one listed in the error message, you may
>          override Bastille's search path by setting the
>          $CORRECT_PERL_PATH environment variable to the directory
>          that the desired perl binary is located in.
>
> /usr/bin/perl is equivalent to /usr/bin/perl5.8.8 in usr/bin
>
> I used yum to install tcl and tk:
>
> Installed: tk.i386 1:8.4.13-5.fc7
> Dependency Installed: tcl.i386 1:8.4.13-16.fc7
>
> Here is code:
>
>  if [ $needx = "yes" ]; then
>         missingmod=0 # flag to indicate if missing mod found.
>         for mod in "Tk"
>           do
>         # see if perl can find the module
>           ${CURRENT_PERL_PATH}/perl -M$mod < /dev/null > /dev/null
> 2>&1        **************
>           if [ $? != 0 ]; then
>         # Cannot find module
>               retval=2
>               if [ $missingmod = 0 ]; then
>             # First error message printed here
>                   missingmod=1;
>                   echo "$ERRORWARN ${CURRENT_PERL_PATH}/perl cannot find
> Perl module $mod.">&2
>

> Gordon Golding
> Center for Innovation and Creativity

Calvin: Know what I pray for?
Hobbes: What?
Calvin: The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I
can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference.