[lug] Installing from DVD

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Sep 12 08:40:22 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 22:58 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Yeah, there is no official F7 version on CD, but someone has created a
> respin that is on CD:
>
> http://fedora.kanarip.com/torrents/

I still haven't mucked with torrents.  No idea how to use them.  Just
gettin' old, I guess (or too slow to keep up).

> Also there is the "Everything" DVD spin, and the new Fedora Unity
> respins (F7 + all errata).

I dug around some more.  Found the Everything spins (in torrents).
Didn't find anything called Unity.  But I'm guessing I can do like I
used to do - do my install, then do an update on everything to get the
latest errata.

> > And what do I do if I don't have a DVD player on all my boxes?
> You can use the boot.iso image to boot and do a network install.

Ah.  That's what I was looking for.  Somehow I missed this on the web
site (I see it now -
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-which-files.html).  And David's suggestion of setting up the DVD on NFS is something I should have thought of myself.  I've done that before.  That will be sufficient to get everyone upgraded at home and at work.

> There are some more minimal spins out there...
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CustomSpins

Is F8 on it's way?  I've seen an alpha release and a reference to Test
2.  And are they just supporting a years worth of releases?  It seems
I've heard they're doing 6 month release cycles now, which would make 6
and 7 just a years worth of releases.  If so, I'm going to have to
change my upgrade cycles.  I usually do 2 years between upgrades.

Thanks for the pointers Kevin.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org