[lug] Installing from DVD

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Sep 12 08:44:58 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 22:21 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> It should be easy to net install.  You mount the DVD and make it
> available via NFS (pretty easy, like one line in the config file).

Dooh.  I should have thought of that.  Of course, I needed Kevin's
pointer to the boot.iso image to complete this idea.  But thanks for the
tip.

> If you set up tftp to share out the boot directory you can boot off the
> network too.  (If your machine doesn't support booting off the network,
> a feature of your network card, you can build a floppy that will do so.)

Another thing I should have thought of.  I've built my own distro in the
past (LFS based) and did exactly this.  It was late.  I was tired.
*sigh*

> IIRC the stuff you want to share is where the DISK1..n directories are.
>   If Google doesn't tell you quickly what goes in NFS and what in tftp I
> can look it up.

I still have that info from my LFS build.  But thanks for the offer.
I'll probably be fine with the boot.iso and the DVD NFS exported.

Thanks.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org