[lug] Installing from DVD and Don't skip Upgrades

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:41:24 MDT 2007

On 9/13/07, gordongoldin at aim.com <gordongoldin at aim.com> wrote:

>  1)  When I jumped from FC3 to FC5, skipping FC4, I regretted it later.  All
> sorts of little quirks.  Maybe do 6, 7?

My anecdotal contribution: I've upgraded a couple of systems via yum
from FC5 to F7 without a problem. YMMV, of course.

>From: "Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>
>   I am "rehabilitating" a bunch of old machines w/o DVD readers.

I usually copy the files from the DVD (or download from mirror) to a
directory which is shared via NFS. If the upgrade candidate already
has a working OS, I copy the "isolinux" directory from the DVD to
/boot, then add a grub entry titled "install" which points to the
kernel and initrd images in /boot/isolinux.  If there's no working OS
I make a net install CD (images/boot.iso), and boot from that. Either
way, I point the install programs to the NFS-shared install directory.

Calvin