[lug] Installing from DVD

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Sep 13 17:14:52 MDT 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:38:00 -0600
nate at natetech.com (Nate Duehr) wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > Fedora releases are supported for 13 months. So, one month after F8
> > is released, then FC6 will be end of lifed.
> >
> > If you only want to upgrade every two years, you might look at
> > Centos/RHEL/debian/Ubuntu LTS.
>
> I thought RHEL was promising 5 years of security patches, minimum.

It's 7 years of support for RHEL and thus CentOS.

> Sigh...

My comment above was implying that if you wanted to upgrade every two
years you should go with a long term support distro and simply upgrade
major versions every 2 years. You could if you like choose to stay on a
RHEL/CentOS release for 7 years. Of course after 7 years the software
versions are all a bit old, so you might want to upgrade for new
features, but you are not forced to do so.

> Nate

kevin