[lug] File replace thought

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Tue Sep 18 16:31:40 MDT 2007

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 08:18:39PM -0600, Andrew Diederich wrote:
>> What I realized is that what I /really/ want to know, is "are the
>> files different?"  Does KDE or Gnome do something similar, or with an
>> embedded diff call?  The next time someone on the list is designing a
>
> Have you submitted this feature request to KDE or one of the other desktop
> environments or file-managers?  If not, you should.  I don't use drag and
> drop file management, but I think this is a really good idea.

I really don't think you'd want this, since it more than doubles the
execution time to copy a file. And if you happen to have two files with
the same name, size, and time stamp, but are in fact different, the
software will still need user input as to what to do with the file being
copied.

I considered this problem over 20 years ago and concluded that same
name, same date, and same size equals same file. I haven't, to my
knowledge, been stung yet.

And most of the time, thanks to dumb-assed software like ftp, browser
downloads, and the cp option "-p" being not the default, same name and
same size almost always equals same file.

As always, ymmv.

Lori