[lug] Wanted: Recommandations for HDD and Mem Upgrades for CU Freshman

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Tue Sep 18 18:09:36 MDT 2007

> siegfried wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have any compelling arguments as to why a CU freshman who
>> is majoring in architectural engineering would need a dual boot
>> windows/linux machine instead of just a vista boot? If so, I’ll pass
>> them on to her.
>>

> The answer may be why she should need windows and not Linux.  Whatever
> tool is best for the job.  You need to know what the job is going to be
> to answer.

yeah.  it all comes down to what type of applications she's going to be
using in her studies / courses.

something tells me that a pure windows system is probably gonna be the way
to go.  dual booting linux isn't going to hurt anything but i'm not sure
she's gonna need linux in which case you're probably making things more
complex than they otherwise need to be.

i believe they have a list of system requirements for incoming freshman
that need computers somewhere on the cu site.  there is also an on campus
store called the buffalo chip that has a section (or possibly an entirely
separate store) dedicated solely to computers and sw.  they might be a
good resource.  then again you might get a clueless college kid.