[lug] Wanted: Recommandations for HDD and Mem Upgrades for CU Freshman

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Wed Sep 19 00:09:39 MDT 2007

>       I'm in the M.Arch program at CU Denver and use these for my studio
> work:
>           OpenOffice, Inkscape, Gimp (loads much faster than photoshop),
>           dcraw and ufraw for camera files, amarok for transferring mp3s
>           to the ipod, Xsane for scanning, Kaudiocreator for ripping,
>           and K3b for CD/DVD writing with a gui.

i'd like to hear more about your experience with the OS design tools that
compete with Adobe Creative Suite.  I'm entrenched at the hip with adobe
because it's my lifeblood.  i could move to open source but i'm
comfortable in the adobe space i'm in now.  just curious how they stack
up?

what i'm not comfortable with is the adobe pricing.  IT'S ABSURD!!!!

since the buyout of macromedia they have sole monopoly on the design app
market.  their bundled app prices blow.  it's similar to the analogy of
buyign a greatest hits collection.  those monkey always give you 10 hits
and leave the 2 other hits out so you have to buy another product to have
the complete list.  Even at student pricing, the stuff is ridiculously
priced.