[lug] Semi-OT: Linux Home server specs

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Sep 21 11:57:42 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 11:19 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> Is there an SMP motherboard with good Linux support that people have had good
> experiences with (or one I should avoid at all costs)?
>
> I need a home server for files and backups and as a host for a scanner. I also
> need some practice at enterprise level Linux admin: smp, raid, ldap, etc. So
> this sucker is going to be considerably over-specced.
>
> I'm currently contemplating
>
> a 'quiet' ATX case,
>
> an smp ATX mother board with a couple of  mature processors (two older
> processors may cost less than something current and bleeding edge),
>
> enough  SATA drives to do raid 1/0, with a controller card if that is
> advisable,
>
> and a fairly wimpy graphics card or maybe just onboard video (if SMP boards
> have builtin video). Most admin will be done across the network, but I'll
> need enough graphics capability to trouble shoot the scanner, view pdfs and
> website files, etc.
>
> I haven't built a machine in years: just used laptops on the road. How big a
> power supply am I likely to need for all this?
>
> Does anyone have a 'quiet' case they really like? Or one that turned out to be
> a lemon?

This doesn't answer your question, but Dell just sold us (the place I
work) a dual quad-core Xeon with 2 15K SAS drives and 4GB RAM for $2K.
It's a rack-mount and a little bit noisy with the fans but I've had
louder gaming systems.

It would make an exxxxxcelent home server.  I was thinking of getting
them to order another one for me. :)
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>