[lug] Semi-OT: Linux Home server specs

Nathan Berry nathan.berry at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:19:01 MDT 2007

We use nothing but Dell rack mount servers at work.  They are noisy.
However, we have an office in LA with no computer room.  We just built them
a VMWare (LINUX) server on a Dell Precision 490.  The Precision series are
quit (a relative term) flexible, and run kind of cool.  I know we have the
PERC raid controller in ours.

Nathan

On 9/21/07, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 11:19 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> > Is there an SMP motherboard with good Linux support that people have had
> good
> > experiences with (or one I should avoid at all costs)?
> >
> > I need a home server for files and backups and as a host for a scanner.
> I also
> > need some practice at enterprise level Linux admin: smp, raid, ldap,
> etc. So
> > this sucker is going to be considerably over-specced.
> >
> > I'm currently contemplating
> >
> > a 'quiet' ATX case,
> >
> > an smp ATX mother board with a couple of  mature processors (two older
> > processors may cost less than something current and bleeding edge),
> >
> > enough  SATA drives to do raid 1/0, with a controller card if that is
> > advisable,
> >
> > and a fairly wimpy graphics card or maybe just onboard video (if SMP
> boards
> > have builtin video). Most admin will be done across the network, but
> I'll
> > need enough graphics capability to trouble shoot the scanner, view pdfs
> and
> > website files, etc.
> >
> > I haven't built a machine in years: just used laptops on the road. How
> big a
> > power supply am I likely to need for all this?
> >
> > Does anyone have a 'quiet' case they really like? Or one that turned out
> to be
> > a lemon?
>
> This doesn't answer your question, but Dell just sold us (the place I
> work) a dual quad-core Xeon with 2 15K SAS drives and 4GB RAM for $2K.
> It's a rack-mount and a little bit noisy with the fans but I've had
> louder gaming systems.
>
> It would make an exxxxxcelent home server.  I was thinking of getting
> them to order another one for me. :)
> --
> Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it - even if I have said it -
unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

   -- Buddha