[lug] Semi-OT: Linux Home server specs

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Sep 22 04:16:18 MDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 12:00:41PM -0600, Ben Whaley wrote:
>Wow, should I feel poor for not having $2k to drop on a server at my house!?

Not at all.  Learning system administration doesn't require beefy hardware.
I learned on a system with a 10MB disc, 10MHz 68010 CPU, and 8MB of RAM.
:-)  Saying you need a beefy SMP machine to learn to set up LDAP is, IMHO,
starting off on the wrong foot.

There are quite a few different ways to go, but I would say you should
dedicate one to your applications, like scanning, that you don't fart
around with.  Then however many others you need to be able to do your test
setups.  But then, I tend to do a lot of replication and HA cluster setups,
so I am often dealing with at least 3 machines for testing.

If you can do the testing you want to via virtual images, so much the
better.  However, they often add a fair bit of complexity before you can
even get to the point where you can start testing.

Sean
--
 My entendres go to three! -- James DeWitt, 2005
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/