[lug] IP Tables

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Sep 22 22:48:36 MDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 06:32:57PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
>karl horlen wrote:
>>rule?  if i could do that, i could at least limit the
>>bandwidth ping attacks consume on my pipe.  I know it

Nope, the data has already consumed your traffic.  You could only limit the
response on it.  By the time you drop it, it's already consumed your
bandwidth.

>Like:
>
>/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmp -m limit --limit 2/s -j ACCEPT

hashlimit is a nice module, it lets you specify the limit based on remote
host IP or network.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 It would be interesting to be a squirel.  They have the cute outfits...  The
 right kind can fly...  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1998