[lug] Looking for Linux device-driver course

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:40:06 MDT 2007

Rob,

No idea.  Could you recommend something that provides good information about
user-level drivers, how to write them, and how to choose when to use them?
Can we expect a Linux device-driver course to cover this?  My ignorance is
profound.

On 9/26/07, Rob Nagler <nagler at bivio.biz> wrote:

> FWIW, do you really need a kernel device driver?  I'm running embedded
> linux for freiker.org with a stock kernel and user-level drivers
> written in Perl.  Really depends on the application, of course, just
> important to point out that you can run real-time systems without
> having to dive into the kernel.  netequalizer.com's is written almost
> entirely in Perl, too.
>
> Rob

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]