[lug] Debian update

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 27 00:32:29 MDT 2007

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Gary Hodges wrote:
>> I have a remote machine (phone connection only) that I will be
>> visiting next week.  I'm going to update the OS (Debian Sarge) while
>> I'm there. I have the most recent Sarge on DVD, 3.1r6.
>
> Is upgrading a significant benefit?  Sounds like you need to mirror the
> security repository.  That shouldn't be too hard.

It's actually rather large.  Debian's repositories are "pool" based,
from changes made years ago.

ALL security updates for ALL versions are lumped into a directory
structure that breaks up directories in the tree by package filenames.

Then there's hmm, shall we say "index" files (Packages.gz, Packages.bz2)
that "point" to which updates are needed for specific release codenames,
in codename specific directories that have NO other files in them.

So to mirror all of security.debian.org, you're mirroring a lot of junk
you don't need...

Nate