[lug] Why Do I Need a Firewall?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Oct 3 20:38:28 MDT 2007

Bill Thoen wrote:
> With such a simple set up, why do I need a firewall and what should I
> set it to filter?

I'd say you don't need a firewall.  Your setup is similar to what SDSC
used in 2003 and they didn't use a firewall either (well, they couldn't
find anything to handle OC-192 either).

Someone recently (this list I think) suggested that logging other
connect attempts was valuable and I think that's true especially if
you're behind NAT and shouldn't see much anyway.

You might also consider moving SSH off port 22.  You'll see many fewer
log messages that way.

Dave