[lug] Safely Parsing PHP Parameters

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Oct 11 19:19:56 MDT 2007

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 14:58 -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> i'd actually recommend that you do NOT cache in this manner unless you
>>> have oodles of traffic.  it's not worth the hastle and the performance
>>> will be negligble for light loads which the majority of websites usually
>>> encounter.
>> I'd like to take every web author that takes this advice and shake them
>> by the neck.
>>
>> Caching helps the user just as much as the site owner.  As a site user I
>> don't care about your bandwidth bill.  I care about how long it takes to
>> load your pages.
>>
> i think my post was taken a little out of context and i probably didn't
> state well.  caching IS fine and works wonders for speed.  DO use it.
> just make sure you know what you're doing and the tradeoffs.  *while* i'm

A bigger win is to use page compression. We use page compression in our
calendar application. A typical page 40K page gzip'd is about 6K. We
have customers using our hosted web app in New Zealand, Australia,
Ireland, Austria, and the UK.

Except for page compression, we don't do any other kind of page
optimization.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.