[lug] Embedded linux distro questions

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Sun Oct 14 21:46:46 MDT 2007

Uggh! I forgot to ask these questions at the last meeting!

Can anyone explain the relationship between distro's like debian and the
boards they run on?

For example see http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi .

Why is it meaningful to specify the CPU chip but not specify the
motherboard? For the PC, this makes sense because there is the standard
inspired by IBM. If I wanted to start an embedded project using an arm, mips
or m68K, how would I go about finding which boards debian was designed to
work with? Is there some mother board standard that the debian ports target
that I am not aware of?

Now someone on this list commented that umbuntu runs on other processors. So
I did a google search for

Damn small linux mips

Ubuntu mips

Fedora mips

SuSE mips

expecting to find counter parts of the page
http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi and I found none!

It appears to me that debian is the only one that really advertises support
for other processors (and presumably other boards).

Can I infer that debian is the only linux OS for PCs that has been also
ported to mips, sparc mipsel, arm, m68K?

It seems like there should be a table on a web page somewhere on the
internet that has columns of "processor", "mother board", "distro name",
"distro URL", "motherboard URL" and rows for each processor.

Thanks,

Siegfried