[lug] Embedded linux distro questions

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Oct 15 14:02:08 MDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 21:46 -0600, siegfried wrote:
[snip]
> Why is it meaningful to specify the CPU chip but not specify the
> motherboard? For the PC, this makes sense because there is the
> standard inspired by IBM. If I wanted to start an embedded project
> using an arm, mips or m68K, how would I go about finding which boards
> debian was designed to work with? Is there some mother board standard
> that the debian ports target that I am not aware of?

The motherboard is treated as a set of devices, each of which gets its
own device driver.  Except for some special things like interrupt and
DMA controllers.  I believe those are different.

[snip]
> Can I infer that debian is the only linux OS for PCs that has been
> also ported to mips, sparc mipsel, arm, m68K?

I bet that Gentoo would run on any of those, if you built Stage 1 in a
cross-compiler first.

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>