[lug] Embedded linux distro questions

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Oct 17 19:15:11 MDT 2007

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
[...]
> It's not particularly easy to cross-compile an entire
> distribution for various architectures.  Cross compiling is usually done
> because the distro creators don't always have sufficient hardware for
> the other platforms to keep one running as a development machine.

IIRC, one of the requirements for architecture support in Debian is a
network of build machines that can keep up with the queue of incoming
packages.  The developers don't have to build their package for every
architecture.

I don't see the specs for the ARM autobuilders but you can find MIPS here:

http://wiki.debian.org/mipsEtchReleaseRecertification

so they seem to be desktop class machines.

Dave