[lug] Fedora core 6 and Promise UltraTrak RM8000

Steve A Hart Shart at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 19 11:44:07 MDT 2007

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with my setup.
  I'm still a newbie when it comes to dealing with SCSI RAID problems.

I have a backup server running Fedora core 6 Kernel=2.6.22.9-61.fc6
I have 2 Promise RM8000 raid arrays and 1 Data-Silo DS570 connected to
an LSILogic SCSI card.

All three arrays have the latest firmware installed.

The SCSI BIOS sees all three arrays with no apparent problems

When I boot using an older kernel (2.6.20-1.2933.fc6) The OS starts up
normally and I was able to see all three RAIDs in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf.
  I was also able to run fdisk on all three to create a single linux
raid partitions on each one.  I was also able to run mkfs.ext3 on all
three with no problems.  The strange part is that I can only mount the
DS570.  Both Promise RAIDs complain about superblock errors.  Running
fsck on the Promises also complain about superblock issues.

Now when I try to boot using the latest FC6 kernel (2.6.22.9-61.fc6) the
OS won't even start up.  I'll try to post what I'm seeing below but
since the darn thing does create a log, I had to write this out by hand
so I'm sure not all the details are here.  This occurs after the kernel
is selected in GRUB and before the root file system starts:

message c sent on bad reselection
ABORT operation started
SCSI BUS has been reset
control msgout: c
TARGET has been reset
DEVICE reset has complete
Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
rejecting I/O to offline device
READ CAPACITY failed
Result hostbyte = DID_NO_CONNECT drivebyte=DRIVER OK SUGGEST OK
sense not available
Asking for cache data failed
assuming drive cache: write through

This sequence just repeats over and over and the system never even gets
close to booting up.

Any idea would be GREATLY appreciated!

Steve