[lug] Moving from integrated to AGP video card

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 17:59:38 MDT 2007

Bear Giles wrote:
> Does anyone else have experience moving from an integrated to an AGP
> (nvidia) card?
>
> I didn't have a problem with identical hardware running windows.
>
> On Linux, I went into the bios and tried changing the default video
> driver, no joy.  X -configure doesn't seem to see video card either.
> It's rather annoying since the integrated controller is limited to
> 1024x768 under Linux.

My experience is that the nvidia cards just work. The only exception
being cards that are actually defective or being powered by a power
supply with insufficient capacity. I've also seen brand-name boxes that
won't accept a full set of BIOS setup options, as the manufacturer only
supports running the system on their own setup and intentionally
lobotomizes the BIOS. If you don't see text mode during boot, then the
BIOS isn't using that card, or the card/power/defect combination are bad.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net