[lug] OT: got a spare dsl modem?

F.L. Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Mon Oct 22 20:56:17 MDT 2007

If he doesn't want it, I have a home for it.

CBOS later than v2.4.0 won't allow telneting until passwords have been
set for both exec and enable modes, so the management cable is
necessary.  If you don't know the passwords, debug mode will need to be
used to erase the old login.  In a com port (at right speed, default
9600, but may have been reconfigured up to 38400, configurable in C678)
terminal session (hyperterminal for windoze), type <ctrl>+C until =>
shows up.  Then type es6<enter>.  After reply, type rb<enter> to reboot,
then configure as ISP requires.  Also, disable the web interface, change
the web port, change the TFTP port and disable, and change the telnet
port.  Default ports are commonly attacked.  The CBOS is just loads of
fun;^)

Some Actiontec models are different from Ciscos, and your ISP may have
to alter settings for a changed modem.

The 15XX series of Actiontec commonly lost ethernet autosense after
several months and they would just 'strobe' while handshaking.  The
ethernet port side of the Actiontec wasn't manually configurable, but
setting a PC ethernet card manually to 10mbps worked.  A very few
ethernet cards didn't have manual speed selection either. The 15XX's did
die regularly also.

Actiontec's run Linux.  IIRC, the default telnet login is admin/admin or
not.  Haven't peeked around in one for some time.

Various models of Zoom are Qwest DMT compatible.  If someone offers you
a Hawkings, refuse, they're junk.  The new Actiontec M1000 is $60 from
Qwest.  A few weeks ago, Circuit City had GT704-WG's for $25.  Check the
ads.  None of the other modems discussed have wireless, if that's
important to you.

Frank Whiteley