[lug] Centos 5 RHEL 5 yum / rpm and driver compatibility

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 21:28:41 MDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:
> karl horlen wrote:
> > I know that CentOS versions are essentially backported
> > RHEL versions.  Which would mean that the rpms are mix
> > match between the two.  At least in theory.

Wrong, see below.

> My understanding of the relationship was that CentOS takes all of the RH
> src rpm's, strips out the artwork and any mention of redhat, rebuilds
> the rpms and out comes CentOS.

Correctamundo. 99% of everything on CentOS is exactly equivalent to
RHEL, the differences being:

1. The RH proprietary artwork, etc., as you mentioned.
2. Occasional fixes developed by CentOS where RH is lagging behind.
3. Optional kernel with features (xfs filesystem, for example) not
offered by RHEL.
4. Other community developed packages in a separate respository.
5. Upgraded packages such as PHP when a new version becomes available
that RHEL will never support until the next release boundary.

--
Collins Richey