[lug] Linux laptop/wireless recommendations

Steve A Hart Shart at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 25 08:50:25 MDT 2007

I have an acer travelmate 4070 at work and with Ubuntu7.1 everything
(and I mean everything) worked the first time right from install.  I had
ALOT of trouble getting wireless working when I had FC6 on here so
Ubuntu was so much different.  I'd say that you can buy a laptop from
anywhere but really look at the hardware that is installed.  Usually
those places that make laptops specifically for Linux will charge more
because they already did the legwork on finding and using hardware that
is known to be compatible.  If you do that legwork (and it's not that
hard to do) you can save alot of money.

I've seen Ubuntu work perfectly on multiple Acer travelmate models as
well as on a panasonic toughbook laptop.  No matter which laptop you go
with, I think Ubuntu has the best "right from install" support built
right in.

battery life is a whole different issue.  I'm really not sure which
laptop has the best life.  I have heard rumblings that Sony Vios have a
horrible battery life but that was just hearsay.  The standard Li-ion
battery that comes with the Acer Travelmates have a life of about 2
hours with Ubuntu and all the power management (including screensaver)
turned off.   With the power management on I think you could pull 3 or
more hours out of it.

Just my humble opinion.

Steve