[lug] Linux laptop/wireless recommendations

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:39:03 MDT 2007

On 10/25/07, Steve Sullivan <sullivan at mathcom.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you have any recommendations for a reliable Linux laptop that
> does wireless and has a long battery time?  I've looked over the sites
>
> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html
> http://www.linlap.com/
> http://www.linux-laptop.net/
>
> and find many many laptops listed that say "my distro installed
> easily ... but never got the wireless working".
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Steve

I have a dell M60 which has a wireless adapter installed in a minipci
slot. What I did was bought an Intel Pro wireless 2915 ABG and
recompiled my kernel to use it. It was kind of low power so I then
bought a Ubiquiti XR2 which uses the Madwifi drivers. I had to do a
hardware hack to put an antenna on the XR2, but a little duct tape
here and there doesn't hurt. Now I have Maxrad 6dBi antenna that kind
of hangs from my laptop, but what do you expect from a linux user
anyhow.

So if you get a laptop with a minipci slot, you can use a number of
good wireless cards.

Steve Queen