[lug] Centos 5 RHEL 5 yum / rpm and driver compatibility

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 22:38:15 MDT 2007

> My understanding of the relationship was that CentOS
> takes all of the RH
> src rpm's, strips out the artwork and any mention of
> redhat, rebuilds
> the rpms and out comes CentOS.

> If the driver works on RH5 out of the box (w/o a
> Dell added rpm), then
> it will work on CentOS.  If there is a dell rpm,
> chances are you can go
> to the support page and download it.

I follow.

So per my original post.  If I elect to purchase
system with RHEL installed [even though from what I
gather it probably makes no sense to since CentOS is
it's superset and is free], when the RHEL subscription
runs out after the first year, it will make no
difference if i use yum to update the system from the
CentOS repos going forward?  Those CentOS rpms will
install and run seamlessly on the original RHEL
install?  It seems like they should be 100% compatible
from what you're saying but thought I'd doublecheck.

> Which raid controller is it?  I think the PERC line
> of controllers is
> pretty well supported.  We have a dell PowerEdge
> 6950 which works fine
> under RH5 w/o any added Dell stuff (lspci gives "
> 22:0e.0 RAID bus
> controller: Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID
> controller 5")

They are shipping now with choice of SAS 5/ir or PERC
5/ir.  The latter is more sophisticated and more
expensive.  It looks like the PERC is an LSI based
card.  I'm not sure what the SAS 5/ir chipset is based
on but I'm leaning towards it.  Will wait to hear back
from Dell on it.

Is there any way to see what raid and sata drivers are
available in a CentOS release without having to
download and install an rpm?  If not which rpm would
contain the drivers, the base kernel?