[lug] Automated USB Drive Backup

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Oct 26 03:59:45 MDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 09:59:19PM -0700, karl horlen wrote:
>pretty straightforward. However, I'd like to be able
>to automate the process so that the script fires when
>the drive is plugged in.

That's a really cool idea.  Until you need to recover something from the
backup drive and plug it into your machine and realize it's just made the
backup drive match the host.  Make sure your backup script takes that into
account...

I had, in the past, a script which detected when I plugged my music player
in and popped up a GUI window asking "Do you want to just charge it or copy
music to it?"  In the latter case it would erase the songs on the player
and copy over a random selection from my laptop.  A similar technique could
be done in your script.

Sean
--
 Self-destructive people sometimes miss.  -- shapr from #python
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/