[lug] CPU comparisons

Carl Wagner carl.wagner at verbalworld.com
Fri Oct 26 11:32:58 MDT 2007

Hi,

I need to build a server to run Debian on and would like to maximize the
bang for the buck.
So the first thing I want to do is pick the CPU, and I think I want to
stick with a Intel CPU.

I see that I can get:
   Xeon Dual-Core - 5130 2.0 GHz 771 pin for $304
   Xeon Quad-Core 3210 2.13 Ghz 775pin for $252
  Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 775 Pin $270

I looked on Tom's hardware and their 2007 cpu comparison does not even
mention Xeon, but shows the Core 2 Extreme QX6850 as being the fastest
processor.

I think the processor should be in the $200 to $300 range to maximize
the $per MIP (whatever you want to refer to as a performance measurement)

What are the real world advantages of a Xeon for running 32 bit Linux?
(the application is multithreaded)
What is the difference between a Xeon 771 pin and 775 Pin? (and 604 pin?)

When I Googled I mostly got marketing garbage.

Thanks,
Carl.