[lug] CPU comparisons

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 16:34:33 MDT 2007

I always thought rails were rails. At least when it
came to rack systems.  Racks are standardized.  The
units that fit into them have to conform to
standardized measurements.  I figured a generic set of
rails could be purchased for 1u, 2u and similar
systems from third parties for reasonable prices.

I guess not.

Which means the outer part of every rail set that
connects to the rack is probably virtually identical.
But hooligans like Dell and Sun drill different holes
on their units to make the interface to the "inner"
part of the rail different enough to warrant you
purchase their rails.

Would that be true?  I haven't purchased enough rack
servers to know the answer to this question.