[lug] External USB floppy drives and driver diskettes

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 16:42:36 MDT 2007

> I generally burn a CD.  I don't have the mkisofs (or
> whatever it's
> called now) options handy, but you can create a
> bootable CD from any
> bootable 1.44 MB image.

As stated in the other post, I'm not looking to boot
in the case I mentioned.  The installer is running and
I tell it to load a driver a disk.  By default it
looks for a floppy.  It needs to see the attached
device not boot from it.

If I can convert the driver diskette into a CD driver
disk fine.  But I'm not sure if ejecting the installer
CD that was used to load the installer and replacing
it with the driver CD will trip up the installer once
teh driver update proceeds.  Or if the installer is
even smart enough to look for and see the CD drive
versus the floppy at that point.  So was wondering if
anybody has actually done a Driver CD successfully.

This is based on CentOS dd of course.