[lug] External USB floppy drives and driver diskettes

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 17:34:54 MDT 2007

> I've used the HP tool, but it has a couple of modes
> and since I only
> ever need it once or twice a year, I have to relearn
> which mode I want/need.
>
> I'll see if I can dig up a link.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23839.html

Thanks!  That's the one!

> If you are already booted via cd/dvd, then the
> ability to see a usb
> device (floppy or otherwise) is a function of the
> booted kernel/os.

That's what I figured.

I've been doing some looking on line and at least for
use with windows, some of the comments posted by
customers imply that some of these external USB floppy
drives need driver installs to function.  Which means
some of these probably aren't bootable since the
driver lives in the OS space

Anybody use one of these with linux at all?