[lug] External USB floppy drives and driver diskettes

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Oct 26 19:13:08 MDT 2007

karl horlen wrote:
>> I've used the HP tool, but it has a couple of modes
>> and since I only
>> ever need it once or twice a year, I have to relearn
>> which mode I want/need.
>>
>> I'll see if I can dig up a link.
>>

> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23839.html
>
> Thanks!  That's the one!
>
>> If you are already booted via cd/dvd, then the
>> ability to see a usb
>> device (floppy or otherwise) is a function of the
>> booted kernel/os.
>
> That's what I figured.
>
> I've been doing some looking on line and at least for
> use with windows, some of the comments posted by
> customers imply that some of these external USB floppy
> drives need driver installs to function.  Which means
> some of these probably aren't bootable since the
> driver lives in the OS space
>
> Anybody use one of these with linux at all?

Bootable and installation source are slightly different.  The BIOS may
be able to boot from the device and load up things, but then the
kernel/installer it loads may not be able to continue reading.  As an
example, you can use PXE to start a network boot.  It can download the
kernel and start the installer, but then the installer may not have a
driver for the network card and won't be able to complete the installation.

I believe the same is possible/true for locally attached boot devices.
Though I'm not positive.

Hugh