[lug] Universal DSL modems

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 21:20:44 MDT 2007

> horlen wrote:
> >was buy a "universal" DSL modem that would "just
> work"
> >with the variety of providers I'm likely to face
> over
> >my lifetime.
>
> That's a good one.

I feel pretty stupid now after having written that
last part about "my lifetime".  Where's a rock I can
crawl under :-).

As far as I know, my qwest service has been pretty
consistently the same for probably the last 4 years.
I think there was a speed jump after my first year but
otherwise, unless they're changing something in the
back office, nothings changed on my end.

> Do you really want to spend hundreds of dollars
> right now so that at some
> point in the future you don't have to spend another
> $50 on a new modem?

No. I realize the idiocy of my original statement.

I was just hoping I didn't have to either rent or buy
a qwest SPECIFIC modem that was proprietary.  Just
thought there might be something a little more generic
by now that worked with today's basic DSL.

I guess there's no solution there except drop $50  now
and then, just like upgrading computers and other
technology every couple of years.

> I'm kind of making light of your request here, but

I know...

> >difference is it's brand spanking new.  So the
> >technology hasn't changed :-)
>
> 5 years ago?  I don't know about that...  I've had
> DSL for over 10 years,

Just so you know.

The replacement modem they sent me 2 weeks ago is an
exact carbon copy of the original one i got five years
ago.  Same make.  Same model number.  Same everything.
 Unless they're changing something on the backend, my
interface on this end is identical.