[lug] CPU comparisons

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Sat Oct 27 14:25:27 MDT 2007

>> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:16:10PM -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>>> Yeah, and then they will also sell you the special Dell rackmount rails
>>> for $250.00.
>>
>> I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you have used
>> them>> and that you're shocked that the price is so low.
>
> Low-balling the price, and then charging exorbitantly for a required
> accessory is just dishonest, and false advertising.
>
> If that's who you like to do business with, then great.

I have the same attitude here.  Personally, I'm not sure any railkit is
worth $250.  That's totally up for debate.  However, I despise companies
that pull crap like this even when they make great products.  Mostly
because if they really make great products they shouldn't have to do this
stuff.  It's the same with coupons and rebates.  Sell the item at the
sales prices.  Don't jerk me around and make me jump through hoops.
Simplify it.  When you don't do that it's just games.  However many
millions of dollars later dell probably doesn't care about the karmic
implications.  But I do.

For a company that has cut its teeth on great service reviews over the
years, I have always thought Dell's service and knowledge level was less
than average whenever I've dealt with them.

> The SuperMicro ones are not the best in the universe, on the other hand,
> I haven't had a server fall out of rack, so I guess they work. As I
> recall, I had a lot more problem with some HP/Compaq rails that were
> "Easy Mount".

I installed a pair of these fairly recently and they leave a lot to be
desired.  As you say though, if I had a choice between the $30 I spent on
those and dropping $250 for better rails, considering that my server sits
still in a rack 99% of it's lifetime, I'd opt to save the $220 and take
the cheaper rails.  I'm sure that's up for debate too.