[lug] DVD ripping advice

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sat Oct 27 16:54:14 MDT 2007

Chris Brotherton wrote:
> I am considering ripping all of my dvds and I am looking for advice regarding
> software to use, video codecs, audio codecs, and container formats.  For me,
> quality is more important than minimizing filesize.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Chris.

Can't speak to codec/container formats, but transcode and dvdrip are
useful.  dvdrip just pulls the vob files off the dvd.  I believe they
are of identical quality to what's on the dvd.  What you do with the vob
files after that is where the codes/container formats come in to play
(and where transcode can be useful).

Hugh