[lug] CPU comparisons

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Oct 29 15:05:07 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 14:31 -0600, George Sexton wrote:
> "One use of a loss leader is to draw customers into a store where they
> are likely to buy other goods. The vendor expects that the typical
> customer will purchase other items at the same time as the loss leader
> and that the profit made on these items will be such that an overall
> profit is generated for the vendor."
>
> This isn't the case here. In this case, they are making the price appear
> lower than it actually is by shifting SIGNIFICANT margin into a required
> accessory.
>
> It's dishonest.

There is absolutely nothing required about rack mount kits.  Stack them
on the floor.  Put them on shelves.  Whatever.

The price in this case (if the sale is still running, I haven't looked)
is such that you could buy some of these servers, part them out, and
MAKE A PROFIT.

So who cares?  If you get cheaper rack mount rails somewhere else, buy
one of those cases with rails, break the components out of the Dell and
go to town.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>