[lug] CPU comparisons

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Oct 29 17:06:28 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 15:49 -0600, George Sexton wrote:

> Believe it. I would spend 8.7% more to deal with a company that think is
> more honest.

Ok.  You and I disagree on what honesty is.  For me, if they list an
item at $250 and they sell it to me at $250, it is an honest price.

If I know that I can get it for $50 elsewhere, I may think they are
crazy or greedy, but I don't think they're dishonest.

As a matter of fact, the "value" of an item is SET by how much you can
get someone to pay for it.  You can't say a set of rails is worth $50 if
someone is willing to pay $250 for it.  It's only worth $50 to you,
maybe.  If enough people pay $250 for it, its economic value IS $250.

If I can get someone to pay me a $300/hr consulting fee, it isn't
dishonest even if you're doing exactly the same or better work for $100.

EVERYBODY knows about sales tactics.  The $8 pizza with $2 delivery fee.
The $2.99 used book with $3 shipping.  Buy one get one free coupons.

I'm surprised now that you don't consider $2.99 dishonest since it's
really $3. Plus tax.

*shrug*

We just disagree on defining honesty.  But whatever, it's off topic for
Linux and I have said all my opinions so I'll stop now.

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>