[lug] CPU comparisons

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Mon Oct 29 19:32:21 MDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 05:21:37PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Servers are getting like cars... let someone else take the ridiculous
> depreciation hit and buy them from the secondary market, with the rack
> rails still attached, and all of their markup gone.  Let some
> corporate loon with a budget that's not monitored closely for return
> on investment buy the new ones and wait for the fire sale.

OK, being a neophyte in how and where to purchase, I'll ask...

Do you also purchase laptops and workstations on the secondary market?

Where would you find a secondary market for servers / workstations / laptops ...
ebay?  Craigs list?

How do you make sure there aren't hidden flaws, like cracked boards
that fail once things warm up, or that just cause random system hangs?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com

http://www.mathcom.com    303-494-7115