[lug] Automatic removal of cron job by cron script

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Nov 2 23:58:24 MDT 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 8:17 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> But wouldn't Big Brother, Nagios, or one of the other monitoring
> tools be better to use?  (I keep telling people they don't want to
> reinvent applications and they keep telling me no, they really do.)

Those systems "done right" are a joy to use.  Done wrong, they're a
paging, beeping, constantly whining nightmare flood of messages.  :-)

Ultimately monitoring isn't usually "done right" anyway... the
criteria for adding things to monitoring systems is all wrong in most
organizations.  Everything gets monitored.

Realistically -- only things making or saving the company money need
to be monitored.  The rest can wait until the on-call person can be
found.  That'll probably stir up some controversy, but it's true...

At the end of the day, if an internal system is down it's an
inconvenience.  A public system that makes the company money (e-mail
servers still fall into this category, of course) that is down, is a
business continuity problem.

Two very different things.

--
Nate Duehr