[lug] Automated USB Drive Backup

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Nov 4 11:00:39 MST 2007

karl horlen wrote:
> I still would like know how to do the "hotplug" automount unmount
> capability because it would be pretty cool which is why I asked.

Sadly the computer can't detect when you're about to pull out the USB
and react to your intent.

You can disable write caching and such so that at least if you pull the
plug when it isn't busy it will survive.  If your backups unmount when
they're done you only have to worry during that time (or if they fail).

udev will detect the unplug and based on that could unmount it.  But
that's not really the way the kernel expects things to happen so you'll
have to force it.

Typically automounters have a time out and unmount things after a period
of inactivity.  But that isn't a guarantee.

Dave