[lug] geolocate ip address scripts

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Nov 6 08:56:07 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 23:46 -0800, karl horlen wrote:
> I can already scrape a unique list of IPs from my
> apache logs easily enough using a bash script.  The
> next step is to feed those into a script that does a
> geo lookup on the ip address and outputs the location.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions or possibly done this
> before and mind sharing?

I've not written any myself, but ran across some Wordpress plugins that
do it.  You might look at the code for these to see where they're
getting the data:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins/Geo

Hope that helps.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org