[lug] SCSI Question

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Nov 6 16:03:25 MST 2007

I'm having some problems with a SCSI RAID system and was hoping someone
here might have some insights.

The system is using an Adaptec 2110 SCSI RAID controller (firmware is
current).

Attached to it are 6 SCSI drives on 9 Connector SCSI Cable

Conn. 0 - Adapter
Conn. 1 - Not Connected
Conn. 2-7 - Hitachi / IBM 36GB SCSI HD
Conn. 8 - Active Termination

The problem is that drive 4 is showing as failed. I replaced drive 4
with a new unit, and rebuild still fails on drive 4. I'm running
badblocks on the old drive 4 right now, and it's looking OK.

I thought there might be power problems, so I added an extra power
supply to run drives 4 and 5 but rebuild still fails on drive 4.

At this point, I think I have a cable/termination issue.

Should I enable the TERMPWR jumper on drive 5?

Should I just get a new cable?

The Adaptec controller is very un-friendly, and I don't want to make any
mistakes if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

--
George Sexton