[lug] wireless access point vs wireless router

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Nov 15 21:21:49 MST 2007

I've got a EPIA M-10000 I want to use with wireless with Minimyth.  I'm
researching adding the madwifi drivers to that but the build for
minimyth is failing for reasons I and the minimyth maintainer haven't
identified (alsa-drivers always fails for me, on any machine I try it on
- even with different versions of Fedora - but never fails for him -
even on the same distros).

As a temporary solution I thought about using a wireless access point.
I can plug the ethernet port of the M10000 into that and have the WAP
connect to my wireless router.

What I've discovered is that WAPs are rare (I've only found the Linksys
one locally) and more expensive than routers.  Can a wireless router be
made to act like a wireless access point?  If so, how do you do that?
Is this something that DD-WRT provides if I upgrade the firmware?

--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org