[lug] wireless access point vs wireless router

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Nov 16 00:11:33 MST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 09:21:49PM -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>As a temporary solution I thought about using a wireless access point.
>I can plug the ethernet port of the M10000 into that and have the WAP

That's not what a wireless AP is for.  A wireless AP goes the other
direction, it hooks to the Ethernet to allow clients to access the
Ethernet.  It doesn't go the other way around, connecting to another AP.
What you want for that is a wireless client bridge, like a Linksys WET-11.
Or, a WRT-54G, with the aftermarket firmware on it can also do it.  You
can't just configure it as an AP, you have to configure it as a client
bridge.

If it were me, I'd probably use a WRT-54GL.  Partly because I'm likely to
have one laying around.  :-)

Sean
--
 Jackie Trehorn treats objects like women, man...
                 -- _The_Big_Lebowski_