[lug] DSL ip addresse changes

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 18:23:42 MST 2007

Very simple question for someone to answer on the
board.

I like to lockdown access to my server from specific
ip addresses.

I tried to login to my server remotely from my folks
house the other day based upon the external ip address
of their qwest dsl router which I had taken note last
time I visited.  This visit, their ip address had
changed and I was locked out of my server.  After some
periodic checking over a couple of days, it appears
qwest must be expiring the ip lease on their router on
a regular basis or some other scheme.

Oddly enough, I also have qwest dsl service at my
house.  But my ip is fixed and has been for as long as
I can remember.  It never changes.

I then wanted to limit server access by ip to another
somebody across the country and it appears their dsl
ip address changes as well.

This behavior severely limits my ability to lockdown
access to my server by ip.  Sucks.

Back in the days of dial up modems, it made more sense
to pull a unique ip address from a pool every time you
logged in.  After all you weren't online all the time.

With dsl 24 access all the time, it seems kind of
pointless and doesn't make sense.  At least not to me.
 In theory it would seem like there has to be a one to
one relationship between customers and ip addresses.
So why not make the ips static.

I do unplug my dsl on a nightly basis but the two
individuals in the scenario I provided above don't. It
just so happens their ips are temporarily renewed on a
regular basis and mine is not.  I imagine most people
leave them up and running all the time.

So what benefit do these dsl providers get by not
using permanent ip addresses for their customers?  Are
they actually sharing more lines than customers?  My
thought is that they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't
making them money or help on the support end.  From
where I sit, it would seem easier to troubleshoot and
more cracker proof if ips were static.  It probably
does simplify day to day regular support possibly by
addiing automated ip delivery to new and deleted
customers.  That might be it.

I know these provider probably offer a static ip
address for customers that want it for a fee.  Maybe
that's the simple answer.  All I know is that I have
qwest dsl and don't pay for a static ip but I get one
and always have.  My folks don't.  Go figure.

Not having a static ip takes away a great lockdown
device for remote access.