[lug] standalone sendmail

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 17:26:37 MST 2007

> Set up the local box to be a smart relay and the
> remote box to allow relay from the local box.

That's exactly what I want to do.  Smart relay was the
term I was looking for.

> If the remote box is sendmail/CentOS then you'd edit
> /etc/mail/access and follow instructions in that
> file.  For the local box, edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
> and search for SMART_HOST, uncomment and edit
> appropriately.
>
> Run "make -C /etc/mail" after you are done.

Sounds like the perfect advice.

However, I do not run the remote mail server.  My
options are to use email accounts at go daddy, my isp
or possibly even free email accounts like yahoo.  But
I imagine none of these are going to allow the relay.

Unless I set up my own mail server, I'm probably going
to be out of luck here.

I actually do receive mail at my ISP address from the
local server without configuring the smart relay.  But
it's littered with the "Domain of sender does not
exist" errors and a "Returned mail:" subject versus
the actual subject.

That's kind of odd because I would think the emails
would bounce back from the ISP to the local server MTA
as errors and never reach my ISP account mail box.

So as of now it kind of works without doing anything.
I have to drill down into the email to figure out what
it is but the message body and subject is there as an
attachment.  That's better than nothing but not ideal.