[lug] standalone sendmail

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Nov 22 09:40:22 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 09:30 -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> It sounds to me that ssmtp and the remote server are irrelevant.  You
> don't have your local sendmail using a valid domain when it sends
> messages.  So all you should do is tell it to use a domain that works.
>
> I've never had a need to use sendmail but you should be able to find the
> right configuration in the docs.

I used to use sendmail in the configuration he's trying (relay-host and
a spoofed domain) but I think what happened is that upstream connections
started requiring password authentication (no more simple trust
mechanisms).  I couldn't get it to work with my own server at tummy.com
(no reflection on them) and found that ssmtp was a far simpler solution
when all I wanted to do was push *ALL* email through my ISP mail server.
Sendmail is simply overkill in that case.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org